Do You Need to Change Your Wiring?

Posted by Steven Davidson on

As a homeowner, it's important to be able to spot warning signs that there may be bad wiring in your home. This is because if you suspect that there are faulty electrical wires or outlets in your home then you should contact an electrician immediately before something serious happens.

Here are some common signs you will see when the wiring in your home isn't up to par:

1) Flickering Lights – One of the most irritating problems homeowners have is flickering lights. Wiring issues usually cause this problem and it can be fixed by having any faulty wiring repaired or replaced depending on how severe the problem is.

2) Mysterious Outages – If you're experiencing frequent blackouts throughout your home, then chances are there's an electrical issue with one of your outlets. Repairing these issues will improve the power flow throughout your home, preventing unnecessary blackouts and making you whole again.

3) Exposed Wires – If you notice exposed wires in your home or notice that there are sparks when an outlet is plugged in, then this may be a warning sign that there's faulty wiring inside your walls. This can be very dangerous for both you and others around the house like children or pets because it could lead to fires or shock if not dealt with immediately by an electrician.

4) Warm Surfaces – If items in the room where the electrical outlet is located feel excessively warm, then chances are there's an issue with the circuit breaker inside of. If this happens, take care of it immediately before the problem spreads.

5) Buzzing Resonance – While this isn't nearly as dangerous as the other problems on the list, it is still worth mentioning. If you notice a loud buzzing resonance when the electrical switch is in use, then this could  be a sign that there's something wrong with the wiring. This can be fixed by having an electrician check it out.

6) Aluminum Wiring - In the late 60s and early 70's, high copper prices led home builders to run electrical service using single strand aluminum wire. Laboratory tests had shown that this metal was a suitable replacement for corrosion-prone metals like copper so it seemed like an excellent cost saving measure at first glance! The problem lies in how quickly exposed aluminum oxidizes when compared with other alternatives such as steel or PVC piping which can take decades before they begin to degrade completely - leading not only increased risk but also extended maintenance costs due inevitable leaks over time. 

We hope that if you notice any of these problems in your home, then you'll be able to get them fixed quickly and safely before something major happens. After all, having bad wiring in your home can be very dangerous, so make sure to act quick.

Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →